Confirmation Date/Time for 2020
In the Diocese of Des Moines, our parish, since it’s founding, pioneered a comprehensive faith formation process. From early childhood through high school and our adult years, the opportunities to grow in our understanding of our faith and deepen our desire to follow Christ are endless.
Celebrating the Sacrament of Confirmation historically has been in late spring at Our Lady’s Immaculate Heart. After consultation with the Pastoral Council, a decision has been made to move the celebration to the fall.
Many reasons and benefits were considered in making this decision:
- The sacrament is physically and visually removed from the high school graduation season.
- The ‘busyness’ of the spring season (Easter, First Communion, Graduation parties, final exams, baptisms, and weddings) was also considered.
- Youth will now be afforded an opportunity to complete confirmation service work during the summer months.
- Youth will have the ability and opportunity to work with their Confirmation Sponsor over the summer months, as many of our sponsors live some distance from Ankeny.
- The start of their junior year is when youth look more intentionally toward their future. Celebrating the bestowing the gifts of the Holy Spirit at the beginning, rather than the end, of a new year aligns the celebration of the sacrament with the natural maturing and unfolding of a youth’s faith development.
- A fall celebration encourages and supports youth better as they increasingly face challenges, in a more secularized world, with regards to issues of faith, Church, and belief in God.
- A fall celebration encourages youth on their journey of life-long formation as they remain with their small groups for their 11th & 12th grade years
In practical terms, the celebration of the sacrament is being moved five months, from April/May to September/October. We realize that with any change there may be questions, concerns, and sometimes resistance that emerges. We ask for your support, as we take this step in renewing our commitment to intentional life-long discipleship of Jesus as active participating members of His Church.
Thank you for your support and understanding as we cooperate with the Holy Spirit’s work among us to animate and fan into flame the spark of faith within.
The Sacrament of Confirmation for this year's 10th grade will be celebrated on Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Fr. Michael Tom Primmer Pastor Director of Faith Formation
Forms needed for Confirmation preparation:
Not sure what to do for Service? Here's a list of opportunities in our parish and surrounding area: List of Service Opportunities
Questions or forms can be sent to Tom Primmer